You know that vague (but good) feeling that you get when the area around you is clean? The same kind of vague but good feeling you get after you wash your car or take a shower? That's a real feeling. I like that feeling. I think everyone probably does. So how do we capture that feeling and hold onto it throughout the day? I have a few things that I do on a regular basis with the end goal of doing just that; capturing that feeling. I want to share those things with all of you so that you, too, can have that feeling throughout your day.
- Just clean something – This is the easiest way, in my opinion. Everyone has something around the house that needs to be cleaned. Don't put it off, just do it.
- Landscape the yard – This can be as easy as picking some weeds out of the garden bed. Just getting something done outside will make you feel relatively good (not to mention all of the benefits provided by getting some sunlight).
- Dust – It's ubiquitous. Just wipe some of it off if you spot it.
- Polish or stain – Rub some furniture polish on your furniture if it is starting to look dull. Polish off that silver you keep for show in the cabinets.
- Little things – I am lumping a lot into this category. It's just those little things you can do. Pick up a stray hair you spot on the table. Spray off your desk with some cleaner. Things like that. Little things you can do throughout the day that don't take much time.
In truth, it doesn't necessarily matter exactly what it is that you do. The idea is that you do something. You will quickly find that even doing minor things can trigger that feeling and the best motivation, really, is momentum. You can start out doing one thing and before you know it you will have done the entire house. It's almost cliché. Everyone says to clean everything, as if the act of cleaning itself is what is going to give you the motivation to do something. Or they act as if having a clean area is necessary for productivity. These things may be true but, if so, they are only indirectly true. The feelings that are associated with cleaning are likely what the goal is when cleaning is suggested to begin with.